Home » How To Enroll

How To Enroll

How to Enroll in Coverage

Enrollment Flow Chart

You may be able to enroll now

Open enrollment for health and dental plans is Nov. 1-Dec. 15. However, you can enroll any time of year if you’re eligible for Medicaid or if you’ve recently had certain qualifying life events, like getting married or turning 26.

Compare 2019 plans now

How Do I Enroll?

Phone ImageCall us toll-free

Our consumer support center offers assistance in more than 200 languages. Deaf and hard of hearing use Relay service.. Hours: Mon. to Fri. 8am – 6pm.

Have these items ready when you apply

  • Birthdates
  • Social Security numbers (or document numbers for legal immigrants)
  • Proof of citizenship or immigration status
  • Tax returns for previous years
  • Employer and income info (pay stubs, W-2 forms)
  • Policy numbers for any current health insurance
  • Information about any job-related coverage you or someone in your household is eligible for
  • Photo ID, if you’re applying in person

More ways to get ready

House Image

Frequently Asked Questions

If you are eligible to buy a plan now (because of a special circumstance), you can enroll online at Connection.gov, call our Consumer Support Center at (Deaf and hard of hearing use Relay service) or visit a navigator or insurance broker near you.


3 people found this faq useful.

Generally, your household includes the people you put on your tax form: you, your spouse, and any children or relatives you financially support.

When filling out your application, do include:

  • Yourself;
  • Your spouse;
  • Your children who live with you, even if they make enough money to file a tax return themselves;
  • Your unmarried partner who needs health coverage;
  • Anyone you include on your tax return as a dependent, even if they don’t live with you ; and
  • Any relative under 21 who you take care of and lives with you.

When filling out your application, don't include:

  • Your unmarried partner who doesn’t need health coverage and is not your dependent;
  • Your unmarried partner’s children if they are not your dependents;
  • Your parents who live with you, but file their own tax return and are not your dependents;
  • Other relatives who file their own tax return and are not your dependents; or
  • Roommates and other unrelated people who are not your dependents.

To learn about who qualifies as a dependent, refer to IRS Publication 501.

Relationship Include in household? Notes
Dependent children, including adopted and foster children Yes Include any child you’ll claim as a tax dependent, regardless of age.
Children, shared custody Sometimes Include children whose custody you share only during years you claim them as tax dependents.
Non-dependent child under 26 Sometimes Include them only if you want to cover them on your CareOne Health Connection plan.
Unborn children No Don’t include a baby until it’s born. You have up to 60 days after the birth to enroll your baby.
Dependent parents Yes Include parents only if you’ll claim them as tax dependents.
Dependent siblings and other relatives Yes Include them only if you’ll claim them as tax dependents.
Spouse Yes Include your legally married spouse. In most cases, married couples must file taxes jointly to qualify for savings.
Separated spouse Yes Include a separated spouse, even if you don't live together, unless you're legally divorced.
Divorced spouse No Don't include a former spouse, even if you live together.
Spouse, living apart Yes Include your spouse, even if you're separated, unless you’re legally divorced. (See next row for an important exception.)
Spouse, if you’re a victim of domestic abuse, domestic violence, or spousal abandonment Not required In these cases, you don’t have to include your spouse.
Unmarried domestic partner Sometimes Include an unmarried domestic partner only if you have a child together or you’ll claim your partner as a tax dependent.
Roommate No Don’t include people you just live with — unless they’re a spouse, tax dependent, or covered by another exception in this chart.

19 people found this faq useful.

Enrollment in Medicaid and the CareOne Children’s Health Program (MCHP) is year round. You can enroll in Medicaid/MCHP at any time if you qualify.

You may be eligible for Medicaid now, even if you weren’t in the past. The best way to know if you’re eligible for Medicaid is to apply. Your child or a member of your household may be eligible for Medicaid even if you’re not.

You can apply at any time online at Connection.gov or by visiting a local connector entity, health department or department of social services. You can also apply by calling our Consumer Support Center at (Deaf and hard of hearing use Relay service).


4 people found this faq useful.

When you apply for financial help with health coverage through CareOne Health Connection, you’ll need to estimate your income for the year you want health coverage to see if you qualify for lower costs.

It is important to enter your household income information correctly to make sure you’re receiving the right amount of financial help (such as a tax credit you can receive in advance to lower your monthly premium). If you receive more tax credit than you were eligible to receive, you will owe it back when you file your federal taxes for that year.

Calculate Your Household Income

Start by adding up the following items for:

  • You and your spouse, if you are married and will file a joint tax return
  • Any dependents who make enough money to be required to file a tax return. It’s important to include income information for everyone in your household, even if not all those people are applying for coverage.

Whose income should you include?

Include these sources of income:

  • Wages, salaries, and tips
  • Net income from any self-employment or business (generally the amount of money you take in from your business minus your business expenses)
  • Unemployment compensation
  • Social Security benefits, including Social Security Disability (even if the payments are not taxed by the IRS), Retirement (including Railroad retirement), or Survivor's Benefits each month. These do not include Supplemental Security Income (SSI)
  • Retirement income
  • Investment income
  • Pension income
  • Rental income
  • Other taxable income such as prizes and awards.
  • Gambling Winnings (Gambling Losses are an itemized deduction and do not reduce the winnings)
  • Cancellation of Debt such as credit card debt, with some exceptions
  • Some Legal Settlements if they are not for physical injury, sickness, or emotional distress
  • Some Disability Insurance Benefits
  • Inherited IRA distributions
  • Conventional IRA and/or Retirement Income Distributions
  • Sale and/or Abandonment of Rental Property
  • 401K loan balance after leaving employer and not paying the loan
  • Distributions from tax deferred Annuities (calculated by the financial institution)
  • Airbnb Income if space is used more than 15 days per year
  • Scholarships and Grants in excess of the cost of Tuition, Fees, Books, and Supplies.

Don't include these:

  • Child support
  • Gifts
  • Supplemental Security Income (SSI)
  • Veterans’ disability payments
  • Workers’ compensation
  • Proceeds from loans (like student loans, home equity loans, or bank loans)
  • Scholarship and fellowship payments for tuition and fees and course-related expenses required of all students

Income deductions you may claim:

You also may subtract these deductions from your household income, if they are not already subtracted from the amount you list as income. (There may be limits on the amount you can claim.):

  • Student loan interest you pay
  • Educator expenses if you’re a teacher and pay for supplies out-of-pocket
  • Contributions to your individual retirement account if you don’t have a retirement account through a job

For more information on reporting your income, see IRS Publication 525.


19 people found this faq useful.